Our first task on Day 9 was to get up way earlier that we would have preferred in order to catch the ferry back to the Mainland. Since we hadn’t had time for breakfast (plus the hotel breakfast was WAY too expensive), we ended up having a most delicious pastry and coffee on the ferry. Again the ride was enjoyable but uneventful.

Looking back on Heimaey

Looking back on Heimaey

Approaching the Mainland - Eyjafjallajökull

Approaching the Mainland – Eyjafjallajökull

After arriving at the ferry terminal at Landeyjahöfn, we backtracked on the Ring Road just a bit to visit a very popular waterfall called Saljalandsfoss.

The best part about Saljalandsfoss is that the cliff behind the falls is undercut, enabling adventurous visitors to walk behind the waterfall. After waiting for the busloads of tourists to clear out, I donned my raincoat and headed up towards the falls while Mom waited patiently and took photos and videos of my adventure. Walking behind the falls was a really fun experience and I got completely soaked in the process.

For your viewing pleasure, here’s a brief behind-the-falls video:

So anyway, now Saljalandsfoss is my favorite waterfall in Iceland.

We finally got back on the road and pointed the car in the direction of Reykjavik. We stopped again at the really cool waterfall, Urridafoss that we had visited on our first day, and then stopped for lunch at our favorite petrol station in Selfoss for another pizza (me) and burger (Mom).

Our next and final accommodation was a little house located near the Greenland Sea on a peninsula called Alftanes just southwest of Reykjavik. We had originally planned to stay right in the middle of Reykjavik, but this place that we found on AirBnB was a gem and just a 3-minute walk to the beach.

On our way through the neighborhood, we stopped and visited with some more horses.

After settling in to our new home for the next 5 nights, we relaxed for a good long while and ate some yummy soup for dinner. Later in the evening, I walked to the beach and saw that the sky and clouds were showing some promise for a great sunset.

I checked the weather app on my phone and noted that the sun would be setting at 11:51pm. Yikes! I wasn’t sure that I wanted to stay up that late, but I could tell that the sunset was going to be something special, so about an hour before sunset, I bundled up, gathered up my multiple cameras, and headed for the beach. And boy, was I glad I did!

It was quite spectacular and people literally talked about that sunset for days afterward. It was hard tearing myself away because it just kept getting better and better, but at 12:30am I finally called it quits and went back to the house, which looked so cute bathed in a soft pink glow.

What an incredible way to end an already incredible day!

As always, you can click on any of the photos above to see a larger version. Check out many more Day 9 photos HERE.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *