The theme for Day 3 in Iceland was wind & rain, wind & rain, and more wind & rain. It was tempting just to stay warm and dry inside all day but the rain let up for about one minute in the early afternoon and that was enough to get us out the (Unfortunately, that was about the ONLY minute in the whole day that wasn’t horribly windy and rainy).

Our first destination was Dyrhólaey, a cape with a very large arch through it that is visible from our cottage. I wanted to go to the top to see the lighthouse and also because I’ve heard it’s the best place in the area to see puffins. (Click on the photos to see a larger version if you wish).

There is a steep and narrow dirt road that leads to the top of Dyrhólaey and up we went. On the way up, we encountered several people who were WALKING up the road. They could barely stand up against the wind and we smugly commented on how foolish that was. Immediately upon arriving at the top, it became quite apparently that getting out of the car was a VERY bad idea. I don’t think I’ve ever been in such a strong wind. So back down we went. This was the view on the way down:

Unwilling to give up on the day, we decided to head over Reynisfjara, a very cool black sand beach with an impressive display of columnar basalt and a cave, Hálsanefshellir. We had to link arms to keep from being blown away, but once we got to the beach, the wind wasn’t so bad. We spent a very long time at Reynisfjara photographing the waves and the different perspective of the Reynisdrangar sea stacks. I even managed to spot a single puffin high up on the cliff, but was only able to get a couple of very bad photos of it. Here is the view looking back at Dyrhólaey.

Here’s a very small sampling of the impressive columnar basalt:

 Visitors to Iceland just LOVE to make stacks of stones:

The pounding surf and the Reynisdrangar sea stacks:

The walk back to the car was absolutely horrendous, as the wind was now in our faces. We were so glad when we finally made it back to the parking lot that Mom tried to jump into the first tiny red car we came to. “Wrong car!” I yelled. “What?” Mom yelled back as she started to climb into the car, much to the surprise of the guy in the driver’s seat, I’m sure. “WRONG CAR!” I yelled louder over the crazy wind. “Oh,” said Mom, and off we went to find our own red car.

By that time we were done with trying to brave the weather so we retreated to our cozy cottage and listened to the howling wind from the INSIDE for the rest of the evening, fervently hoping for better weather tomorrow.

I propose that we change the name of Iceland to Windland.

For a few additional photos from Day 3, go to my SmugMug Day 3 gallery HERE.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *